Today in class we discussed computerized testing. We were able to test our own skills on a test site "Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium." I chose 10th grade math to explore within a comfortable setting. Immediately I was irritated by the calculator the covered my problem and had keys in irregular locations. The first problem addressed a comparison a cars traveling at differing speeds and distances. The answers required the cars to then be placed on a number line to visualize the comparison. On paper this problem would take less than a minute. On the computer the time tripled or quadrupled and mainly in the navigation category, not the knowledge bank. How will computers effect the ability for less technical students to exhibit their skills and knowledge?
The second problem was a simple equation that had no negative influence from the computer. If the entire test was like this I would have no relevant argument against computerized testing. Unfortunately, this was not the case.
The third problem I attempted, before running out of time, was a graphing problem that would be very easy to visualize with graph paper. Extensive time was necessary to create the grid, plot the points, then reread the problem because by then my frustration had overcome my cognitive problem solving skills and I had forgotten what the problem was asking. When I regrouped with the necessary visual in front of me the problem seemed simple. It disappointed me to know I was close to giving up and that the same feeling would likely overcome many high school students taking computerized tests. I think it would be helpful to have an interface that can be offered to the masses with more similarities to simple paper.
Rachel, I experienced similar frustration with 10th grade English section. I agree with you on the need for an interface with similarities to past paper versions. One of my greatest frustrations was that in the English section it was incredibly busy with two screens, parsing out information was extremely difficult, I did only two problems of the six, but students may be required to three hour long sections. I thought it was interesting that you brought up interface, and one that warrants discussion. I once was told that when computers were in their infant stages, and computer scientists were determining how to design the main interface, psychologists suggested the term "Home" because its something you inherently go back to. When I was taking the test it was disorienting because there was no "home", a place to refer back to.
ReplyDeleteRachel, I have to say that I was struck by your story at the end about how your frustration level, and your impulse to give up, almost obscured the fact that you could easily handle the material, something that came very apparent when you were able to get a different perspective on things. You wrote that "(i)t disappointed me to know I was close to giving up and that the same feeling would likely overcome many high school students taking computerized tests." Disappointed? Okay, but I also think (as you seemed clearly to realize) that you got a glimpse of how students could feel powerless and overwhelmed, and have to contend with those feelings. This moment was valuable in a sense...we can always benefit from an authentic glimpse of how a kid might struggle in work related to the discipline that we love, and that usually makes sense to us. Hold on to such moments...they offer valuable entry points for us as we think about reaching our students, especially those who struggle.
ReplyDelete