On September 25, 2014 a group in my EDUC 504 class presented Padlet to the class. Padlet was presented as an online bulletin board. It encompassed questions to be asked by the teacher and replied to by multiple students. As the first group, they set the benchmark very high. The class was in the evening following a full day of student-teaching, so most of the audience was tired. The interaction of presenters with the recipients (me!) kept the energy high and the application very easy to understand. The presenting group consisted of mixed content-base, and included math!!!
The thorough explanation of Padlet taught me how to create an account. I was then able to import a combination of images, pdf files, and a quiz to show various aspects of classroom necessities. I was able to link a lesson, homework reminder, warm-up drill, and exit game. The use of the tech tool was instantly added to my tool box. The presentation made me realize how simple it would be to incorporate new age technology into my future classroom in a very organized way without the requirement of having a completely flipped classroom. Padlet could be used in my future high school mathematics classroom as a way to encourage students to collaborate and discuss math applications beyond the classroom. The ability for students to contribute collectively can help motivate the students to contribute pieces of the puzzle. If you are interested in learning more, check out my padlet http://padlet.com/eight/geometry

Rachel, I am glad you are so enthusiastic about Padlet! I really liked the idea of Padlet as well and it reminded me of Pinterest, which I don't really use. However, Padlet seems like a wonderful tool to use in the classroom because it allows you to organize lessons and collaborate on presentations. I really liked the idea of linking videos to it, so students could view those at home. To me it seems like Padlet could be used as a sort of classroom website if the right information is inserted.
ReplyDeleteSometimes it is difficult for me to see how different tools could be used for math class, but as you said, Padlet could definitely be used for math by discussing problems beyond the physical classroom. If you choose to use Padlet in the future, do you think you would use it more for your own organization or for the students to use for discussions?
Was this the same day as David Theune's presentation? I'm sad that I missed it.
ReplyDeletePadlet sounds a bit like Pinterest, but more designed for education than for entertainment. We're doing Pinterest for our webinar; you can pin pictures from your own computer, but it won't let you add any other file type, like video. If a user wanted to add video, they would have to find the URL and copy the URL into Pinterest. It looks like Padlet allows you to post your own work, while Pinterest is all about posting someone else's work.